Tuesday 12 March 2013

10 Tips for Surviving the School Holidays

1) PLAN, PLAN, PLAN - You don't have to follow your plan to the letter but even if you have a rough idea of what you might do each day helps!

2) ARRANGE MEET UPS - with fellow mummies, preferably somewhere that the kiddies can run wild for a bit while you have a good natter

3) EXCEPT MESS - Unless you are prepared to spend the next few weeks constantly picking up after them, just let them get on with it an have a good tidy up when they go back to school

4) PUT ON THE TV - Yes I said the T word, obviously I don't mean for the entire holidays but even just once a day for a limited amount of time gives you a break and makes them just sit and chill for a bit. We all need some R&R time and maybe throw in some popcorn to make it a bit more exciting. (I wouldn't advise popcorn everyday though)

5)  GO FOR WALKS - Of course this is weather permitting but it's a great way for the kids to burn some energy, get some fresh air and best of all it's FREE. Or perhaps try a treasure trail which makes the walk more interesting!

6) RESEARCH NEW CRAFT IDEAS - Get online and find some new ideas for things to create, bake or build. There are loads of good websites out there that have loads of fun ideas. Pinterest is one of my favourites.


7) STOCK UP ON CRAFT SUPPLIES - Prior to the holidays beginning make sure you have all of the resources that you may need, glue, scissors, toilet rolls, coloured card etc. Start collecting up a stock a few weeks before.

8)  GET A COLLECTION OF BOARD GAMES - Time to raid the charity shops and find some new games. You can pick up some great ones for a fraction of the price that the high street stores sell them at. This is always good as a back up for the horrible rainy days.

9) VISIT YOUR LOCAL LIBRARY - Go and find some new books to read. You could have a theme for the week, like the Tudors, and then find books on your chosen subject and see who can learn the most by the end of the week. Maybe create a quiz for the end of the week and see who wins. Libraries also stock DVD's which you can hire for very low cost too.
 
10) DON'T FEAR BOREDOM - It is okay for your children to get bored, this forces them to use their own imagination and create fun for themselves. No one expects you to be super mum for the entire length of the holidays. 


So what about you? What are your top tips for surviving the school holidays?

8 comments:

  1. This is a great list. My favourite one is letting them go wild whilst we have a good natter :) but I love the one about the crafts, definitely good advice to stock up a few weeks before!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, It's always good to chat to other mummies, especially in the holidays. I think it helps you to keep your sanity x

      Delete
  2. The local library in Newton does some great holiday activities for kids (don't know if that's just in the summer hols, though). My son is too old now, but he went on several crafty things a few summers ago, and really enjoyed them. They last about an hour or so, I think, cost next to nothing, and you can leave older kids and go and do some shopping. Fab!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good to know. I'll have to check out what they have on, hopefully something in the Easter holidays. My two love the library in Newton. x

      Delete
  3. Ah the holidays!! I defintely need to make a list of things to do! I always forget to stock up on the craft supplies although I have actually begun to save yoghurt pots etc for just such an occasion such as the Easter holidays. Please let the weather be nice! And I agree with the boredom thing - it's not a bad thing at all! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If the weather is nice it just makes life so much easier, so much more you can do. What are you going to do with your yoghurt pots then? x

      Delete
  4. Great list Gina! I always plan ahead of my Granddaughter's school holidays, (I childmind her) If I didnt plan it would be total chaos here, lol x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look after my nephew and niece as well as my two in the holidays so planning is essential, you're right it would be chaos! x

      Delete

I would love to know what you think? Go on make my day. x